2. Latin Name: Epimedium grandiflorum 3. Appearance: yellowish-brown powder 4. Active Ingredients: icariin 5. Specification: 10%-98% icariin test by HPLC 6. CAS No.: 489-32-7
Horny Goat Weed is a herb (Epimedium, Herba Epimdii, Icariin, Yinyanghuo, Fairy Wings, Rowdy Lamb Herb) that is known for being an aphrodisiac and touted as a men's sexual organs booster. It is also sometimes referred to by its active ingredient, Icariin. Icariin is known as a prenylated flavonoid compound and has been shown to exert much of the aphrodisiac effects of Horny Goat Weed.
Icariin, the Active ingredient of Epimedium Extract, is known as a 'prenylated diglycoside of kaempferol'. Specifically, the basic structure has a prenyl- group attached to the kaempferol molecule (depicted below, its the bendy tail heading upwards from the hexagon) and has two sugar molecules attached to it; a glucose molecule at R2 and a rhamnose molecule at R1. The other three popular molecules found in Horny Goat Weed, Epimedin A-C, have the same following backbone but just different sugars at R1 and R2.
Epimedium is a plant that comes from the botanical family ‘Berberidaceae’. also known as barrenwort, fairy wings or the more common ‘horny goat weed’ because of its proven aphrodisiac properties. The Epimedium plant is said to contain certain chemical compounds, otherwise known as flavonoids that has antioxidant properties. Basically, icariin helps in the efficient transmission of an important cellular signaling molecule, Nitrous Oxide, which in turn increases the free form hormones.
1. Aphrodisiac: Epimedium has long been considered as an extremely potent aphrodisiac. The compound icariin that is found in epimedium works by relaxing muscles by increasing the nitric oxide levels and increasing the blood flow to the sexual organs, thereby increasing libido and desire. This is definitely one of the main benefits of epimedium.
2. Controlling Asthma: A Chinese study has shown that Epimedium can be helpful in alleviating airway inflammation by decreasing the activities of some proteins that are responsible for the production of leukocytes in inflammatory areas in the lung, thereby helping with controlling the effects of asthma.
3. Anti-Cancer: Epimedium extract benefits have been studied in detail on the cancer cells and have been proven to be effective in decreasing the ability of invasion of cancer cells as well as the migration of the metastatic cancer cells.
4. Erectile Dysfunction: Apart from being an Aphrodisiac, epimedium has been effectively used in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. In an Italian study, it was reported that icariin has the same effect on the erectile tissue in penis as Viagra.
5. Memory Enhancer: Studies have shown that the administration of icariin has been able to increase the blood flow to the brain and showed improved learning ability and memory. The effect is mainly attributed to the plant’s antioxidant properties and its effect on the nerve impulses as well as the circulatory system.
6. Osteoporosis: Icariin has been proven to promote the growth and development of the osteocyte cells and contributing to bone remodeling, thereby indicating that it can be used as an effective drug in the control and treatment of osteoporosis.
7. Women’s Sexual Health: Whereas the effects of Icariin on Men’s sexual health and performance is well known and documented, the administration of icariin can also improve the sexual health and performance of women by a huge margin, mostly owing to the production of Nitrous Oxide that improves the flow of blood to the sexual organs, clitoris and vagina. Icariin also have properties to relieve Menopausal Symptoms in Women, Epimedium has also shown to encourage balanced estrogen and estradiol levels in women, providing a beneficial effect for menopausal women.
1. The percentage of icariin should be the one that you plan to consume.
2. Ensure that the main content in the supplement is icariin and is not diluted with a lot of other supplements, which might be beneficial overall but may decrease the effect desired by administration of icariin.
3. Understand that icariin, especially in high doses is expensive to extract and produce and if there are cheap products available claiming to have a high concentration of icariin, chance are those might be fake.
Dosage: For men, depending on the desired outcome, the recommended dosage is 900mg of 40% icariin for a 150lb person, 1200 mg for a 200lb person and so forth.
For the detailed information of dosage, Please consult with your doctor, pharmacist or supplier of your products.